Kerala vegetable stew or ishtuTweet
Vegetable stew or ishtu is a traditional dish of Kerala prepared as side dish for appams in Kerala.
It is a very healthy and easy to do dish. The vegetables are cooked in a thick coconut milk gravy and pepper and ginger added to it enhances the flavour of the dish. Vegetable stew is a delicious dish and a great combo with appams and makes up for a wholesome breakfast.
- Onions - 2 (chopped into small cubes)
- Carrots - 2 (chopped into small cubes)
- Green peas - 1/2 cup
- Potatoes - 1 (chopped into small cubes)
- Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 2-3 (slit into big pieces)
- Grated ginger - 1 teaspoon
- 1 string of curry leaves
- Black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
- Thin coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Thick coconut milk - 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
Remove the vegetable stew in a serving bowl and serve hot.
NOTES: Traditionally coconut oil is used for preparing vegetable stew but I have used refined oil. You can also add beans and cauliflower for making this dish.