Tomato bhath or tomato rice recipeTweet
A very delicious and simple to make recipe and a popular south indian dish. Tomatoes gives a tangy taste and flavour to the rice.
- Cooked rice - 3 cups
- Tomatoes - 6 (chopped finely)
- Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin (jeera) seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 string of curry leaves
- Onions - 2 (chopped finely)
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped finely)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
Spread the cooked rice on a plate. This helps the rice grains to be separate and not mushy.
Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds. Saute the mustard seeds till they start spluttering.
Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, chopped onions, green chillies and cook till onions become translucent.
Add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder. Stir well and cook covered on a medium flame.
Once the water evaporates, add red chilli powder and mix well.
Add the cooked rice and combine together.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Enjoy tomato rice with pickles, papad or raita.
TIps: Adding no garam masala or other spices helps to retain the tomato flavour to the rice. Always use good ripe red tomatoes for better taste. It is better to cook the rice separately and allow to cool down by spreading the rice on a plate. Then mix the rice with other ingredients. This way the rice do not mush up.