Dal methi recipeTweet
Dal methi is a healthy combination of fenugreek/methi leaves and tur dal. It is simple to make and very nutritious too. Dal methi is also called as methiwali dal. It is mildly spiced and goes well with rotis as well as rice. Dal methi is a very healthy dal which can be included in our daily diet.
- Tur (arhar) dal - 1 cup
- Fenugreek/methi leaves - 1/2 cup (chopped finely)
- Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds/rai - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds/jeera - 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped finely)
- Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- Tomato - 1 (chopped finely)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
HOW TO MAKE DAL METHI RECIPE Wash and soak tur dal with sufficient water for an hour. Add turmeric powder and pressure cook the dal upto 4 whistles. Once pressure cools down, mash the dal and keep aside.
Chop the stems of methi leaves and wash thoroughly in running water. Chop the methi leaves roughly and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter. Then add onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and saute till onions become translucent.
Add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes become soft.
Add chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for a minute till the leaves become little soft. Then add red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
Add mashed dal and little water according to consistency required. Mix well and cook on a low flame for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
Add lemon juice and mix well and it is ready to be served.
Serve dal methi hot with rotis or plain rice or jeera rice.