Chana palak or chole palak or spinach chick peas curry recipeTweet
Chana palak is a healthy and delicious North Indian dish made with white chickpeas, spinach and mixed with spices. Chickpeas is rich in proteins and Spinach is high on iron which makes up for a complete healthy dish. Chana and palak is a good combination for making this curry and it goes well with rotis, puris, parathas, plain rice or jeera rice.
- White chickpeas or kabuli chana - 1 cup
- Spinach or palak leaves - 5 cups (roughly chopped)
- Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomatoes - 3 (roughly chopped)
- Green chillies - 2
- Kasoori methi - 1 teaspoon
- Cashewnuts - 5 (optional)
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE CHANA PALAK OR CHOLE PALAK RECIPE Wash and soak the chickpeas with sufficient water for about 8-10 hrs or overnight. Next day drain the water and pressure cook with 2 cups of water and salt upto 4 whistles.
Once the pressure cools down, drain the excess water and keep the boiled chickpeas aside.
Blanch the spinach leaves and tomatoes with sufficient water. For that boil 5 cups of water and add salt to it. Once it reaches the boiling point, add spinach leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the flame. Drain the excess water and run the spinach leaves in cold water. Set aside.
Grind the cashewnuts into a fine dry powder and set aside.
Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for another 1 minute till the raw smell goes away.