Zunka or jhunka recipeTweet
Zunka is a traditional Maharashtrian side dish, but it is also popular dish in North Karnataka. Zunka is best served with jowar or bajra rotis or even with plain rotis. Zunka recipe is a very simple dish and easy to make too. It is also called as pitla. It is a daily diet of people living in rural Maharashtra. Zunka is made by gram flour, onions and mixed with spices.
- Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds/rai - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin/jeera seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped finely)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- FOR SOLUTION (GHOL) OR WATERY PASTE
- Gram flour/besan - 1 cup
- Onions - 1 (chopped finely)
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 string of curry leaves
- Chopped coriander leaves - 2 tablespoons
- Water - 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- Salt to taste
How to make zunka recipe FOR MAKING WATERY PASTE OR GHOL Take a bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, curry leaves, coriander leaves, onions and mix well. Add water slowly and stir continously so that no lumps are formed. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
Add chopped onion, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and stir fry till onions become light brown.
Add watery paste and stir continously on a low flame till it turns into a thick mixture.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with bhakris or rotis.