A north indian side dish made with potatoes and ladysfinger and cooked with Indian spices. Aloo bhindi goes well with rotis, naans or parathas. It is a very delicious and healthy dish and is very easy to prepare.
- Ladys finger/okra/bhindi - 3 cups (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- Potatoes - 2 (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- Tomatoes - 2 (chopped finely)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE ALOO BHINDI PUNJABI STYLE Wash the bhindi well and pat dry thoroughly with a clean cloth. Ensure there is no moisture in the vegetable to avoid stickiness while cooking.
Cut the bhindi into 1 inch size pieces after removing both side end parts and keep aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add okra pieces and stir fry on a medium flame till it becomes little crisp and gets cooked. When cooked, okra shrinks and turns light brown. Remove the okra in a plate and set aside.
Add another 1 teaspoon of oil in the same pan. Add chopped potatoes and shallow fry till light brown on a medium heat. Remove them in a plate and keep aside
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering, add chopped onions and stir fry till they become light brown.
Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for half a minute till the raw smell goes away.
Add chopped tomatoes and salt and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes become soft and oil leaves the sides of the pan.
Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and combine together. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame
Add fried okra and fried potatoes and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve aloo bhindi hot with rotis or parathas.