Masaledar baingan recipeTweet
Masaledar baingan or spicy brinjal masala is a spicy and tangy vegetable curry made with brinjals or eggplants and cooked in masala gravy. It is very easy to prepare and goes well with rotis or parathas as well as rice.
- Brinjals or eggplants - 500 gms (medium sized)
- Onions - 2 (chopped finely)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (amchur) - 1/4 teaspoon
- Yoghurt/curd - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
- FOR THE PASTE
- Peanuts - 2 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds (til) - 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 2
- Coriander leaves - 2 tablespoons
HOW TO MAKE MASALEDAR BAINGAN RECIPE Wash and chop the brinjals vertically and immerse them in water to avoid the brinjals getting dark in colour.
Grind all the ingredients with little water listed for the paste and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering, add cumin seeds. Saute for half a minute.
Then add chopped onions to it. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onions become translucent.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well.
Add the ground paste, salt, curd and brinjal slices. Combine together and cook on a low flame. Add very little water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook till the brinjals become little soft and well cooked. Bring the curry to a medium consistency.
Once cooked, add amchur powder and garam masala and mix well. Put the lemon juice and add the coriander leaves. Mix well.
Switch off the flame and remove them in a serving bowl.