Dal makhani recipeTweet
Dal makhani is a rich and a popular punjabi dal dish where the main ingredients are whole black lentils (urad) and red kidney beans (rajma) and they are full of proteins. Black lentils and rajma are simmered in a creamy sauce of butter, onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, milk cream and spices. Dal makhani is a delicacy of North India and very easy to make too. It goes well with rotis as well as steamed rice.
- Whole black lentils (Kaali sabut dal) - 1 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) - 1/2 cup
- Ghee/Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 2 (slit lengthwise vertically)
- Onions - 2 (chopped finely)
- Tomatoes - 2 (chopped finely)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon
- Butter - 2 tablespoons
- Malai (milk cream) - 2 tablespoons
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE DAL MAKHANI RECIPE Wash and soak kaali sabut dal and rajma with enough water overnight. Next day pressure cook them upto 4 whistles or till soft.
Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
Then add chopped onions and green chillies and saute till onions become translucent.
Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 3-4 minutes. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook on a low flame for 4-5 minutes till they become soft.
Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and combine together.
Add pressure cooked dals along with a cup of water and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes till they are well coated with masala mixture.